Monday, August 23, 2010

I deleted facebook

So, I deleted facebook.

It is something I have been convicted about for the last two years. But even more so the last week.

Every morning Roger and I do this devotion by the upper room called A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God. Every single reading for last week said to me "delete facebook....delete facebook." You know when you read something and hear God speaking directly to you through the text? Yep, that's what went on all last week.

Saturday night was spent taking pictures, videos, and notes I had written while on bed-rest with Anna, off of my profile. Once the task of preserving our memories was complete I sat thinking the whole thing through. Then, at 11:59pm, I deleted my facebook profile. I wanted to start Sunday fresh!

It feels a little strange. I kinda feel like I have committed facebook suicide. I no longer exist to many people. I am gone. Those people don't exist to me.

Doesn't that say something about how wrapped up we are in the community of faces?

God made us to live in community with one another and yet we are all too concerned about individuality. We want only to commune with people on our terms. We would rather spy on someone from a distance than actually speak to them face-to-face in order to get to know them.

If I consider myself someone who values community then it doesn't make since for me to be on facebook. I would rather talk to you on the phone, have dinner with you or go for a walk in the park. I don't want you to get to know me and judge me through a simple profile and I don't want to get to know you or judge you through a simple profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment