Monday, October 18, 2010

The Break Down (of our water heater)

This morning I woke up sick, yet again. I walked into the bathroom for a nice hot shower to soothe my aching joints and clear my mucus filled lungs.

I turned the water on.

But something wasn't right.

It wasn't warming up.

I walked to the kitchen "Roger the water is not getting hot"

He walked down into the basement to check the water heater.

He stood silent on the steps "ROGER? is everything ok?"

***silence***

I descended into the dreary basement to find all of our stuff floating in 2 inches of water.

Our hot water heater had busted and leaked water EVERYWHERE.

I took a sponge bath while Roger called the plumber, Mr Steve Humble.

The Humble Plumbing van pulled up just an hour after we called them! They had our old water heater out and our new water heater in by 1pm. I was completely impressed. So impressed that when we payed the massive bill  I also added to that a Cadbury Chocolate Bar. Plumber Phil was very appreciative of the chocolate bar!

This afternoon Roger needed to make a hospital visit. He had rented a wet-vac to suck up all the water but I was not physically capable of cleaning the basement up and tending to the children. There was also no way that I was going to be able to carry the wet-vac full of water. However, the water needed to be gotten out of the basement ASAP.  

I called my brother Jacob who lives about 30min away and he, after the initial "ahhh oh man" decided to come help me. 

Together, my brother and I cleaned out all the wet junk and vacuumed up all the water. 

I found it humorous that while me and my little brother were in the basement fuzzing about moving objects and sucking up water puddles, that Anna and Paul (brother /sister combo #2) were upstairs fuzzing over who got to play with what toy.  Somethings you just never grow out of. 

I'm very thankful for my brother driving out here to help. I really could not have done it without him. I'm also very grateful for Humble Plumbing because I would have had an emotional breakdown if I didn't have them. I am also so blessed to be married to a man that finds humor in everything. Roger had me cracking up about having a flooded basement and having to buy a new water heater. I have no clue how he does it!

Here are some pictures that I snapped of the event that I have named "the break down."

We found out our water heater was put in the house in 1986. Ummm WHAT? That is OLD.

We just pilled wet crap on the back porch. The trash dudes come tomorrow and it is all going. The water heater has helped us pack to move into our new house. Basement cleaned?....CHECK!

The wet-vac that we rented came in very handy! However, it was a beast to carry.


Our brand new gas water heater. now we can add that on the For Sale listing!  "hey, this house has a new water heater!!  check it out!"  AND.....our water is nice and hot even on the very very very low temp.

Man oh Man how I miss renting. Homeownership is too much of a grown up task. 

No comments:

Post a Comment