Thursday, March 31, 2011

Southern Style Beans and Corn Bread

So, I have mentioned in previous posts about how AWFUL I am at cooking.

Turns out that I am getting a bit better.

This May will mark 3 years of me being a full time nanny to my own children. 

Some would call that a MIRACLE. 

I was very against the whole SAHM movement that is sweeping through the state like wild fire, until I gave birth to baby #2 and realized "THERE IS NO WAY I CAN AFFORD TO HAVE 2 CHILDREN IN DAYCARE."  


It took me a while to get the hang of the NON STOP child rearing life style but I have taken to it. 
"What, you mean I don't get off work at 5:30?"

There are some days that are better than others but each day, after I put the children to bed I throw my aching body on the couch and think to myself "I got to spend ALL day loving on my children!"

Back to the topic at hand.
COOKING

I figured it was about time I started to learn to cook.

My latest adventure has been making Southern Style Beans and Corn Bread.

I have attempted pinto beans MANY times and each time they have turned out HORRIBLE.

No where even close to the yummy pinto beans that my Maw-maw can manage to whip together while taking care of 10 grandchildren, making sure the men in the field have plenty of water and cleaning the eggs brought in from the chicken coop.  

HOW DOES SHE DO THAT????

What I used to do (now don't laugh) was pour 1Ib of pinto beans in a pot of water and boil it all day.

Yep.  That's it.

I never really knew you needed to add anything.

What would ALWAYS happen is the water would boil out, the bottom of the beans would burn and supper ended up tasting like you were eating dirt.
Roger actually said that they tasted like I "seasoned the beans by cleaning out an ashtray."

And yes..... we ate it...... because that is WHAT YOU DO when you are on a budget.

So, I was like "I am going to research this whole beans and corn bread thing"

And I did

this is what I found

Each time I make this recipe it turns out REALLY good.

I use 4 cups of broth and 4 cups of water.
I don't add the ham hock because that is expensive (budget!!)

I haven't added the bell pepper because that just seems weird to me.
I do add onion.  YUMMY

Now, I haven't tried to make the corn bread.  Roger usually makes that when he gets home. he fears I might burn the house down.  I once tried to make corn bread in a skillet in the oven and then forgot to put  anything over my hand when I grabbed the skillet out of the oven.  

That might have been the time Anna learned how to say the D word.  

So, I am slowly turning into a southern house wife.  A real live house wife that COOKS some yummy beans and corn bread.


It's the small things people.  The small things!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment