Saturday, January 15, 2011

At Peace

Life as we know has changed drastically over the past couple of months

For years Roger and I have lived in this constant state of uncertainty. What are we going to do? Where are we going to live? What is our purpose in life?

The questions that we all go through at one point or another have been with us our entire 6 years of marriage.

We got married young and had a baby young. Everything happened at once. All the different steps that people tend to go through.....college, marriage, job, house, baby.....well, we just threw those all in together in a big hat and made do with what we got. 

That resulted in being a married sophomore in college with a baby on the way.... then a married junior with a tiny infant and a job at a psychiatric hospital.... then a graduating senior with a toddler and a full time job at a psychiatric hospital.

Roger and I took the kids to Target yesterday. Why? well, because we wanted to talk and the kids were a little nuts. While the kids were quietly looking at all the toys Roger and I stood together sharing a pretzel and a blue slushy. I smiled at him "this is a HOT date Mr Roger!"  The little moments that we get to still away together are the best. The moments that aren't necessarily planned but just happen! However, I don't think things "just happen."

As I stood there in the toy aisle, having a small spontaneous date with my husband, I started feeling giddy about life. I am so happy!  So content!   

I remember when I was little and thought that I would never have this. A husband and children. 

I was told when I was younger that I wouldn't be able to have kids because of my heart condition. They said trying to have a baby might put too much strain on my damaged heart.

I never listen to anyone.  I got pregnant anyway.  

In the 4th grade I had one of my best friends, Kim, ask Roger to be my boyfriend. He said no.  I managed to get him to marry me anyway!

As I stood there in Target, with my husband that I have been friends with since the 4th grade and my two beautiful children I was told I would never have, I was at peace. 



celebrating our 11 years

at 15

in high school on hero day. 

with our first baby

getting married at 20

in high school taking a nap on the bleachers before one of my volleyball games

anna helping to pull my hair out


taking the kids to a baseball game

good thing I have a pacemaker now so I can keep up!

Anna's second bday




No comments:

Post a Comment