Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Oh Deer!

Monday morning started out as any other Monday morning. 

Roger got up super early to leave for class.  I got up to see him out the door.  It is something I have ALWAYS done.  Any time he leaves I give him a big hug and kiss along with a "be careful.  VERY careful.  I love you! Call me when you get there."

I sometimes joke with him "if something happens to you I don't have a pay check and I'll have to move back in with my parents. You don't want that to happen do ya?  so, drive careful."  :)

I went back to bed.

I woke up shortly after and felt the need to pray for Roger. 

I fell back asleep.

The next time I awoke Paul was curled up next to my back and Anna was standing on the floor next to my bed, looking into my face "mommy I need some breakfast!"

"Ok.... I'm up! "

We gathered around the table, all a bit drowsy, munching on cereal and talking about the funny pages in the Sunday paper.   

The kids love for me to read them the funny pages even though they have no clue what is so funny about them.  They even do the fake kid laugh. 

I NEVER get funny pages either. 

The phone rang. It was Roger.
"hey! what are you doing?  Did you get my message?"

"No. I'm sorry I didn't get it. What is up?"

'well, I'm just sitting here at a Bp station surrounded with all of my earthly possessions. Enjoying some coffee. Can you come pick me up?"

He then went on to tell me that he was okay but that  he hit a deer on the way to class and that the car is a total loss.

I got off of the phone.  Told the kids to pray to God and thank Him for protecting their Daddy.

As soon as I finally got the kids loaded into the car Anna yelled out "We are ready to SAVE THE DAY!!!"  Paul chimed in "YEAH!!!!  Super Heros to the rescue. Let's go SAVE DADDY!"

I put on Tom Petty and took a deep breath.

An hour later we arrived at the Bp Station. 

We found a giddy Roger surrounded by all of his stuff. 

Roger was like "oh well. i hit a deer. I no longer have car" and decided to enjoy his morning by calling up a college friend that lived in the area that we haven't seen in a long time.  

Roger and Jeff had a good little catch up conversation while enjoying donuts and coffee.  

When Jeff had to leave Roger enjoyed a nice little documentary on the Tv about Stonehenge. 

On the car ride home we joked around about how we should find the deer and get the "Got my First deer!" classic photo shot. But once we found the deer it was obvious that we SHOULD NOT take a picture with it. 

The poor deer was cut in half.  :(

It could have been so much worse than it was.  I could have lost my husband instead of just a car.

As soon as we got home Roger passed out in the bed. His neck and back were starting to get sore and he was completely EXHAUSTED.  

I, on the other hand, started to clean. 

I swept, mopped, scrubbed two toilets and a bathtub.  Then I started organizing the kitchen.  

That is what I do when I get a bit stressed.  


Roger got up after I put the kids down for a nap and went into the church office for the rest of the afternoon to work on Holy Week planning.

Can you believe all this happened during one of his busiest times?  He is 3 weeks away from the end of the semester and smack dab in the middle of Holy Week planning.


Two lovely ladies from the church were kind enough to make us dinner so we didn't have to worry about that.  It was nice to not think "what are we going to eat tonight?"  Plus, Madge brought over some YUMMY cupcakes that her friend had made.  THEY WERE SOOOOOOO GOOOOD!

i closed my eyes while I ate the cupcakes!!!!  They were THAT good!

Oh, and Paul's first soccer practice was yesterday afternoon at 6pm so it was nice for Roger to be there with me to watch little Paul at his first little soccer practice.  If it hadn't been for the deer Roger would have been in class and missed his sons first soccer practice!   

This morning the realization of me NOT HAVING A CAR has set in.  But in all honesty it should be fine.  

There are going to be days that I am completely stranded at home and I wont be able to just pack up to go on random adventures with the kids. But most of the time it should be fine.  

I'm VERy thankful that we live here with this big back yard and so close to downtown.

CAn you imagine if I was out in the middle of nowhere with no car?  

There are plenty of places that we can walk to living here!!  

We wont be able to get a second car for a while.  We are still trying to recover from from my new pacemaker, my appendix surgery, our water heater busting and taking out a loan on our second house.

It has been quite an interesting year for us.  

  :)  Boy oh Boy has it been an interesting year!

No comments:

Post a Comment