Monday, June 21, 2010

cardiologist followup

Roger and I got up early this morning to head into the city...about a 2hour drive during rush hour. We were on our way to the followup appointment with my cardiologist about my brand spanking new pacemaker. The sun was shinning, the air was warm but not too humid, the car was cleaned, the oil changed, the tires pumped and the most exciting thing of all, I had gotten to fix my hair for the first time since the surgery. It looked like a great day was ahead of us.

Then I was called back to see the Doctor. Like usual I was hooked up to the EKG machine and the small little pacemaker computer thingy. Everything seemed normal, then the pacemaker tech from medtronic started to seem a little tense. I was then informed that they couldn't find MY resting heart rate. That it looked as if I was being paced ALL THE TIME. Where was MY heart rate??

She kept dropping the pacemaker down to 30bpm, which made me feel horrid and kinda freaked me out, but my heart never kicked in. The main thought that was running through my mind was "well crap. I knew this day would come. I didn't think it would be this soon but I knew the day would come that my heart would just tucker out. well crap. I guess I am going to be put on the transplant list? I have no clue what this all means. well crap. After this appointment I am going to HAVE TO get a will made. Well crap. Well, at least Roger's got people to help him with the kids. oh the kids. well crap" I get pretty dramatic in my head.

The doctor was called in, another pace tech was called in and I am happy to announce they FOUND that my heart still had its own precious beat!!! YAY. I'm not really quite sure what happened or what went on or why it took so long to find my resting rate. They kept talking to one another in fast doctor/tech language. I looked to Roger to see if he knew what was going on and he just shook his head. They mentioned something about the bottom lead but they kinda lost me with all the other stuff. I just trust they know what they're doing and I'll be ok.

Anyway, a bit of a scare, made me realize that I really do need to have a will and that each day is a blessing. I guess I just needed a little bit of a reminder. Now it is up stairs to pack for our trip to Charlotte. We hope to be there by the time my favorite show, The Bachlorette, comes on. Oh man oh man, what a day it has already been. I'm ready to snuggle in a nice warm bed and read my Mary Poppins book. I choose Mary Poppins because I needed a little escape from the real world. I'm excited to read this book to Paul and Anna when they get a little older. Paul was so excited when I told him that I was reading the mary poppins book!!! I love reading to both of them and I am so happy that they enjoy that mommy time as much as I do!

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, I just found your blog. Thank you for your candid truthfulness. It's refreshing! I'm sorry for the scare today (could it be that's what made your heart kick in? LOL), it's a reminder to all of us to live each day remembering that life is precious.