Monday, May 30, 2011

Road Trip Part 1

From May 12, 2011 to May 21, 2011 the little family and I ventured  out on our first family vacation/road trip.  

We were a little nervous at first since taking a 5 year old and a 2 year old on a VERY long road trip seemed like the most ridiculous thing EVER.  

But Roger and I were determined to make it work and HAVE FUN making it work.  We both LOVE being on the road, having adventures and being spontaneous, surely our own flesh and blood children would learn to love it as well.

Still, it was a bit nerve racking getting things together for the trip.

The first, "oh my gosh you have got to be kidding me" came when Roger went to have the car checked out.  We were about to spend 15 hrs driving on the road so we wanted to make sure the car was doing well.  Turns out ALL of our tires we dry rotted.  A little over 300 dollars later, we have brand new tires placed on the car.  Wonderful!  (sarcasm)   Do you see my big smile!?!

But in all seriousness I am VERY thankful we were smart enough to get that checked out. 

Before we left the house there was SO MUCH to do.  Cleaning the car out, doing the laundry, cleaning the house so that when we got back it would be SPOTLESS (I can't stand coming back from vacation to a messy house), packing up myself, the kids and making sure we had plenty of emergency entertainment for the kids if they got fussy in the car.

By the time we all FINALLY piled into the car I was thinking to myself, I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this. I am completely exhausted.   Was this a bad idea?

Once we got out of town and I realized the kids were just as excited about having a road trip as Roger and I, I relaxed.  

Paul had his little explorer vest on, his kid map out and his telescope up to the window, "Mom, we are explorers!"

I wish I could have captured the smiles on their faces and the jubilant  atmosphere in the car.

We were together on the road, soaking up the sun, jamming to the music, in awe of the beauty of God's creation and in the mood to be spontaneous.


Check Back for Part 2 next Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment