Tuesday, June 2, 2009

God sends a gutter fixer man

We just got finished with our first maintenance project on our new (old) house. After moving into the place we noticed that the front gutter over the porch wasn't draining well. So, we thought, "Hey we need to get the gutters cleaned."  Months later we noticed that it was collecting so much water that it was binding and pulling away from the house, "Hey, we need to get that gutter fixed."  Months later.  "Roger, call someone to fix that gutter."  Several weeks later.  "I called someone he should be over this afternoon to give an estaminet."  The next day "Well, I guess the guy never showed up. Now what do we do??"   So, we did the only thing that we knew to do......we prayed and had faith.  The next thing I am about to tell you will put you i awe.

I was sitting on the couch early Saturday afternoon relaxing before a friends wedding and praying silently about the gutter situation when I heard a knock on the door. A man was standing outside. Normally I wouldn't answer the door when Roger isn't home but for some reason I was like "Jess, you gotta get over the irrational fears." So I answered the door. "Mam, would you mind if I bought some water off of you. I am cleaning out the gutters at your neighbor's and he doesn't have a spout on this side of the house?"  I immediately jumped on the gun and said "hold on.  you clean gutters?  Do you fix gutters too?!?"  he replied with a smile "yes, mam I do."  I then asked who he worked for and he said for himself.  YAY a local guy!!!  So, I asked how much and when and he said he could do it just as soon as he finished our neighbor's house. "I'm over here I mise well do it today."      

He ended up having to come back today, tuesday, to finish up because while he was cleaning and fixing our gutters he noticed that the wood behind the gutter that wasn't draining well was pretty rotten and REALLY needed to be replaced.  I must say that I wasn't shocked about that. From way it was sagging it looked at if the previous owner hadn't fixed it in a while. But I am shocked that our house inspector that we hired before we bought the house didn't catch that. It kinda makes me mad.  REALLY mad.  We could have had the previous owner fix that.

So, the moral of the story. Don't worry. Have faith. Pray. And God will have the gutter fixer man knocking on your door. This is why Roger and I try not to worry about situations. In the end they typically work out!

No comments:

Post a Comment