Thursday, June 18, 2009

random happenings

The past couple of days have been full of fun interesting people!  On Monday night we had our first summer reading group meeting with the youth.  We are having everyone over to our house every Monday night from 6 -8pm to read through the book Adventures in Missing the Point by Brian Mclaren and Tony Campolo. It was nice sitting around the living room reading aloud and listening to the questions from the youth. I must say that we have been blessed with some intelligent individuals. They ask the BEST questions and they seem to be VERY interested in learning more about their faith.  Each time I am with them they amaze me with their interest and sincere desire to grow deeper in their faith.  They truly want to make it their own.

On Tuesday night we all met at the church for the oh so lovely lock-n.  We had about 20 people there.  I think.  I should have counted.  At first it was only going to be Roger and I chaperoning but after discovering that a lot of the kids invited a LOT of friends we called Emily C, a lovely girl that we go to seminary with who also happens to be a youth minister, and asked at the last minute if she could help.  She came over on such short notice and stayed all night even though she had to work the next morning. I must say that that had to be one of the nicest things anyone has done for us. It was also nice getting the opportunity to get to know her a little better.

The lock-n went pretty well.  We had a few little issues but what lock-n doesn't. Paul and Anna had a BLAST.  Yes, we took the kids. Our family doesn't live near us and I could not really think of anyone to ask to keep them over night so we drug the baby bed from the nursery into Roger's office for Anna and told Paul we were camping out at the church. He had a great time hanging out with the youth until he finally decided it was time to climb into his sleeping bag for the night. I slept on the couch in Roger's office beside the kids and had a lovely time snoozing in between checking on the loud noises in the room above me and making my rounds through the church to check on the status of everyone.  I found some of the girls sitting in the girls bathroom with the lights off talking when I went in to pee. I started laughing at them and opted to find another bathroom to pee in.  I guess it was a good idea to sit there. The ladies bathroom has a nice little sitting area with couches and as long as they were in their the boys couldn't bother them. I'm glad that they got the opportunity to sit up with each other all night in the bathroom talking girl talk.  That is true bonding!!!!  I remember those days. :)

Wednesday morning was miserable. I was soooooo tired, Roger was soooooo tired and Paul and Anna were NOT. i finally broke down after feeding them breakfast and cleaning the kitchen.  I climbed into bed and said "Sorry Roger. I can't feel my heart beating. I think I am going to die. My heart is worn out. There is no way I'm going to be able to........."  And then I feel asleep.  Roger took care of the kids the rest of the day. I finally got up around 3pm and took a shower.  Then I felt a lot better.

Later Wednesday afternoon we walked to our neighbor's house next door and enjoyed some yummy watermelon while the kids swam in the kiddy pool.  We also got to meet the neighbor that lives behind us!!!  Then we came back home, I went for a little bike ride and Roger put Anna to bed. When I got back Paul and I stayed up late catching lighting bugs!  Our neighbor even joined in on the fun.  He was sitting outside on his porch when paul and I ran around the corner trying to catch one. He smiled and joined us.  

This morning I got up around 6:30 and went for a 3 mile hike through the farm.  The grass was wet, my feet got very wet but it was very refreshing to be up so early taking in the fresh air and feeling the dew all over my feet. This afternoon we met a few of the stay-at-home moms at the church for a picnic on the playground. It started to storm so we ended up taking the fun inside. So, we're going to try again next week and pray that it doesn't rain.  The last two times it has.  But the kids don't really seem to care.  

This afternoon I am going back to the church to partake in the ladies sewing circle. I'm awful tired but the sewing circle only takes place once a month at the most so I can't really miss. I'll just crash when I get home and plan absolutely nothing for this weekend. I'm just going to lay around and read.  Well, I guess if Paul and Anna let me. I'm reading a great book by lisa Samson, "Embrace Me."  Thus far I have to say she is a good writer.  The story is very interesting!!! 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment