Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Day Dreaming

I love my children but sometimes I crave the "married without children" life. Being married with two children is hard work. There are times when Roger and I are home all day together and never really talk. We say words to one another like "hey, Anna needs her diaper changed" and "Paul is screaming in there. Can you go check on him." But we lack actual conversation. It's hard to have an actual grown up conversation when you have little ones around who need constant care and attention. Then when the little ones are in bed asleep all I want to do is jump in a hot bath with a glass of wine and lay there until I'm half asleep.

Sounds horrible? I know!

But the truth is that is not how most nights and days are. For instants, lastnight Colt came over to talk, I went to play Volleyball (we won second in the tournament) and the kids played nicely in the living room. When I got back from the game the kids were in bed and Roger was lying in the floor reading. WE talked a bit and then decided to sing Karaoke until 1am.

However, today while I was at the library, I began to think nasty thoughts "Man, life would be so much easier and I could get so much more accomplished if I didn't have these darn kids." For example, going anywhere with the kids is a huge task. It takes FOREVER just to go to the library to get a book and half the time when I finally get into the library I am to tired to fight with paul to follow me over to my section to look for anything.

I'll spare you the details but getting two kids and yourself dressed, in the car, back out of the car, into the library and back in the car again only to get back out is extreme.

Today at the library I had my hands so full that I had to ask a librarian to hold Anna. It sure does take a village.

I envy people who have their parents near by for help. Our parents live 2 hours away. If we want to run out and do something we have no one to watch the kids. I would love to be able to say 'man i need about an hour break. Rog, I think I'll take the kids to your mom;s for a bit." No sir that does not happen here. If we want to go anywhere at all, even out for a quick bit of coffee alone together we have to plan it way in advance. Thankfully we have friends who are more than willing to drop everything if we absolutely need someone at that moment to watch the kids, but I hate to bother them to much. here lately we have been sending the kids, once a month, to their Nanna's house for the weekend. It gives Roger and I a chance to reconnect with one another, get caught up on school work, and hang out with friends.

On a side note, Anna has two teeth now!!! She screamed all day yesterday and nothing would appease her. So, I got to thinking that maybe she was teething and stuck my finger in her mouth to massage her gums. Then she bit me. OUCH!!! And I discovered that she had two teeth on the bottom. I wanted to cry. My little baby girl has teeth. I swear she is growing faster than Paul.

Anna also has decided that I am just as funny as paul. I don't even have to do anything, she just looks at me and laughs. However, she does still look at me and cry....she needs to get control over her emotions :)

I'm excited about moving to the new house, still!!! I have been thinking about how I am going to decorate (shhhhhh don't tell Roger). I'm going to go with a Wendell Berry theme in our living room, a Beatrix Potter theme in Anna's baby room and Paul wants his room to be all about baseballs.

Ok, I'm rambling. I guess the time has come to exit the internet world and reenter the stay at home mom world by waking up the kiddos. Nap time is such a sacred hour. wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment