Saturday, November 6, 2010

Litany that spoke to me

Here is a short litany that was given to Roger by a church member.  I think it is something we can all relate to.  I sure can.

Call to Worship

On a day that marks the end of a long work week, and the beginning to a new one,

We show up.

While a warm bed and a long to-do list calls to us,

We show up.

We show up tired, we show up to see our friends, we show up because it is just what we do.

We show up.

We show up broken, we show up with questions, we show up expectantly, we show up occasionally.

We show up.

We show up empty, we show up full, we show up dressed up, we show up dressed down.

We show up

And in this simple act, a lifelong pattern for some of us, we proclaim our oddity! We choose to be here.

We show up faithfully.

Sometimes it is about God, sometimes it is pure habit, sometimes it is pure love.

We show up honestly.

And so we gather today.

As family, as strangers, as travelers.

May God bless this simple act, and may we find what we need today.  

I enjoyed reading this because it reminded me of the simple act of showing up and how much that means.  Just showing up.  

This past week has been the worst my depression has been. For the past 3 years I have been in a down ward slump. I have scars all over my body as proof to the amount of crap that I have been through physically (open heart surgery, pacemaker, emergency c-section, appendectomy) and scars deep inside that I am trying my hardest to let heal. 

 I want to say thank you to all of you who have taken time out of your crazy hectic lives to sit with me during some of the roughest times I have ever been through. The simple act of you just showing up means so much to me. 

Thank you also to those who made us food, to those who drove the food 2 whole hours all the way from Etown to Winchester. 

Thank you to Lee for driving food over to us on wednesday and driving Roger to pick up our car.

Thank you to mom and dad for driving all the way to lexington in the middle of the night to be with me at the hospital. Hospitals are scary places when you are alone.

Thank you to Scarlette for driving all the way from Somerset to Winchester in the middle of the night to be with our kids so that Roger could go to the hospital with me. 

Thank you to the Jaspers for watching Paul and Anna all week long so that I could start recovering.    

Thank you so much for the emails, cards, flowers and phone calls that have lifted my spirits.

Thank you to Karen, Madge and Ruthie for driving all the way from Etown to the hospital in lexington to check on me the day I had my surgery.  

The church isn't just a building and showing up doesn't just mean when the church doors are open. Showing up means taking care of THE CHURCH, the people. Showing up when the people need you the most.  We, as christians, are the body of christ here on earth and have the responsibility to care for one another. To show up when one is in need.  I am humbled by the amount of people who have simply shown up for me in my time of need.  

Even if that was to simply sit and talk!

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment