Wednesday, May 13, 2009

yesterday, today, tomorrow

Have I mentioned that Anna is teething. Why is it that she always gets two HUGE teeth in at the same time??  It is complete torture for all involved. My head seriously hurts and my nerves are getting to the "ok, take her back" stage. I love the child but her teething is like none I have ever seen.

It seems like every single time she teethes she gets a double ear infection. She just sits and cries for at least an hour. I guess I'll have to march her back to the doctor. I wish I could tell (other than with the screaming) when she has an ear infection. I need one of those thingy ma bobs and a hand book entitled This is An Ear Infection and This is Not. I hate having to make an appointment, get the kids packed up, drive 40 min to the nearest clinic that accepts medicaid and wait in the waiting room FOREVER to be told "nope, no ear infection but she sure is getting some HUGE teeth. Do you have some motrin and some orajel??  Good Good.  
Ok, well maybe try putting her little toys in the freeezer.  Yeah, good good."  
THANK YOU!!  Maybe next time I'll snatch the thiny ma bob from the docs pocket when she's not looking "run paul run.  mamma's lost her mind. oh, grab that diaper bag."
Any who.  Today I took Anna to her first reading group. She has been showing an interest in other babies and books so I figured what the hey, I'll take her, she is almost one (May 21). I find it hilarious the parents that take their teny tiny babies to reading group. It's like "seriously, join a moms group or something. That baby has no clue what is going on." Lucky me, there were older babies there. Anna was the youngest. (go on laugh) She sat in her stroller laughing, clapping, and smiling. She had this "I can't believe there are more people like me in the world," expression on her face. Adorable!!  Paul took charge and made us a craft.  He is getting pretty darn good at gluing. I didn't even have to help at all. He did it all by himself.  YAY PAUL!!!
I'm currently reading a book written by Kathleen Norriss called The CLoister Walk. It is a memoir of her extended stay at a Trappist Monastery.  I am greatly enjoying it (when I get a chance to read it). She is a great author and so reflective in her writing. She is actually a benediction oblate for the trappist as well. Very interesting women!!   Very insightful book!!  a Must read. 

The last two days have been tiring but pleasant. Roger and I have been getting up at 6am to have some moments of lectio continua of the scripture, quite reflection, and prayer journalling before the kids get up. We have FINALLY realized that mornings are a better time to spend alone with The ONE rather than afternoons or evenings. As Christians we each need to make a point in spending some time alone with the One. I was reading a book the other day that mentioned how "our interactions with others reflect the condition of our spiritual states and will either help or hinder people in their walks with God." So, here's my plug, spend some time each day listening. Put down that "latest fad" devotional book. Lay aside any desire to "learn a bit more" from the scripture so you can be the latest greatest Bible knower person. And read the scriptures appreciating the story and the fact that God is capable of speak to you through that ancient text. After all, we do say it is the LIVING word. Most importantly, LISTEN. How can we hear God when we aren't listening??  When we are too busy doing "christian things." (devotional books, bible study groups, outreach, preparing sermons, VBS prep) and not taking moments of quite how can we expect to hear what God wants to tell us.  It's like the two women in the Gospel of Luke--Martha and Mary. Martha was cleaning up after the meal that they just had with Jesus. She was getting aggravated at her sister Mary who was sitting at his feet listening to every word. "Lazy women. Jesus is here and she isn't helping me work."  Jesus got on to the women for working and complaining about Mary and said "Martha. Martha. You are worried and troubled over so many things, but just one is needed. Mary has chosen the right thing, and it will not be taken away from her." I also imagine him saying "LISTEN. I am here with you LISTEN."  And Martha responding with "in just a second Lord. Let me finish putting there dishes away.  Maybe you can insert something into that sentence.  "Just a sec Lord. I'm working on my devotional book.  Just a sec Lord. I'm trying to study this passage of scripture so I can KNOW more."  It is an evil little trap isn't it. 
Ok, the end of the rant.

 Even though I am tired because my body is still getting used to going to bed early and rising early, I feel that it is a great way to start the day. Especially since Anna is driving me completely nutts at the moment. Roger and I toyed around with the idea of teaching Paul to pray some of the hours. What if he grew up thinking that every household runs like a monastery??  That would be wild. ;)   Hummmm.  Maybe we'll cut it down to just 3 prayers a day.  I can't imagine waking the kids at 3am for prayer. No matter what we do we have decided to raise him with the knowledge of ancient traditions that we have been taught to adore.  I'm interested in seeing what kind of man he will become. I must say, forming a person is RATHER fun!!!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment