Saturday, May 16, 2009

Pregnancy and feet


So, yesterday we packed up the kids and headed into the big city (Ha Ha). I was on a mission to get me some Chacos.  Those lovely hiking sandals that are potentially a mom's best friend during the hot sticky months.

We arrived at our destination, walked in and I announce to the store "I am here to get some Chacos."  With a lovely smile on of the men walked me over to the heavenly area in which the coveted sandal is kept. "Aaah yes. What size are you??"  I proudly announced "I am a 9 kind sir"  Ok, so I didn't say kind sir. I just added that for theatrics.  To make this blog a bit more interesting.  He acted surprised at the size and asked to measure my foot. So I handed him my not so weird right foot and said "here, I'll let you measure the right 'cause the left will scare ya."

Turns out that I have a 7 1/2 foot.  WHAT?!?!?!  That's crazy.  All my shoes are a size 9.  I quickly responded "did my foot shrink?  Or did the woman at the New Balance store measure me wrong?"  He then asked if I was pregnant at the time I bought my tennis shoes. I thought and remembered that I actually was several months pregnant with Anna at the time. He then informed me that pregnant woman's feet flatten out because of the extra weight they are carrying resulting in a long foot and a bigger size shoe.  The arch that was once there becomes minimal.  Then he said "That is amazing that your arch has just sprung right back."  

I was in shock. I had never heard such a thing, "I guess that explains why my teva flip flops seem big and my new balance shoes don't feel just right."  He said "HA HA. Yeah you need to get ya some new shoes so you don't hurt your feet and your back." 

Ok, so the end of the story. 

I ended up getting a size 8 but they didn't have the color that I wanted. I LOVE the color brown and I didn't want to just get a color since these sandals are an investment (we plan on going on a lot of outdoor adventures this year and the coming years). So, I had them special order me the brown chacos. They should be to me in no more than 7 days.  I am excited!!
   

2 comments:

  1. lol, yeah, i'm a size nine since having babies, but my arches never 'sprang' back. :( i have big feet..

    ReplyDelete
  2. we still need to plan that camping trip. chacos are great. i got my chaco flip flops and sandals in 04 and i still wear them all the time.

    ReplyDelete