Wednesday, May 20, 2009

God, music and a lovely sunset

(side note...I have added some of the psalters music to the site for you to hear)


What a great end to the day!!!  We drove to the city, met Justin and walked to the park across the street to listen to a band called TheillogicalSpoon.  Check them out.  Absolutly amazing lyrics. The music transformers the soul!!! 

Anyway, some people from the house church that our friends Amanda and Justin are a part of (Communality) had a little picnic in the park and the band played. They were originally going to have it at their house but so many people were interested in coming that they thought "hey, lets have it at the park since our house isn't big enough to have all these people."  Ended up being a GREAT idea.

We all first gathered in a big circle to pray over the meal of hot dogs, BBq and chips. Then we gathered around and listened to good music, singing in unison, some of us swaying, while the kids drew with chalk and played on the playground together.  

I personally loved the way the lyrics spoke to me. It was as if they took all the feelings I have throughout the day while I am with the kids, reading a special book, praying scripture, talking with my husband, sitting alone on the porch and wrote them into a song. It was lovely siting in the park, watching the sun set and kids play, being surrounded by like minded folks (yay I'm not alone in my happiness that people like to call hippy and I refer to as non commercialize?Americanized Christianity) enjoying great music with meaning.

Anna and Paul had a great time as well. Paul made new friends "hey mom, can I play Frisbee with spiderman?"  (there was a little boy who came dressed as spider man) and Anna danced all night.  That child LOVED the music.  She smiled, laughed and danced the whole time.  We couldn't get her to eat her bottle. She wanted to dance instead.

I'm happy!!  happy that there are people out there that are enjoying the journey of life like we are. Christians that have the peace from God.  Because we all know that worrying over things gets us no where. God is following us around saying "lay your worries on me."  Sadly, many ignore him and want to prove that they can carry all that weight. The truth is, we can't. Have faith!!!  Give it to God!!  It troubles me when those who claim to have faith fret over things as money, politics, social status.......  Don't make me whip out the verse about the birds. 

Faith isn't a convenience thing.  Ya only have it when there is nothing else left. It is a way of life. A way of life that is not carefree but worry free.  Have faith so that the unexplainable peace that God bestows upon those who trust fully in him will be placed upon you.  Ok, so  I have to say it..."Don't worry, be happy."

I love the saying by Dr. Landon "The journey is the destination!"  So often people are trying to accomplish that one thing to obtain happiness. A better something and I will be happy. No, take it all with the peace and happiness of Christ. While scrubbing that toilet sing praise to the Lord "I got the Joy joy joy joy down in my heart WHERE down in my heart WHERE down in my heart."  Stop thinking "man I can't wait until this house is clean so I can enjoy the rest of my day.  Start enjoying your day NOW.  Take the NOW and enjoy it.  Tomorrow may never come.

here's some pictures of our evening!! 



                                             Getting some food!       
                              The little ones had a great time banging on the instruments!


            Justin must have said something profound because Rog looks deep in thought. Oh wait                   Rog always looks deep in thought.



                                                Making the park pretty with chalk!



                                            The sign says "Another Kentucky is Possible."



Making Art.  Everyone was invited to spray paint on a sign. I think we all got high on the fumes.



                           making some lovely music for us!  Notice the upside down flag.


1 comment:

  1. wish i could have enjoyed the fun. :-) glad you guys could be there.

    ReplyDelete