Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Front Porch Sittin'

Wow!!!  It has been an interesting couple of days.  Fun and exciting, but interesting.

Friday
Roger was off of work and it was raining so we decided to take the kids SOMEWHERE, ANYWHERE to get them out of the house. So, we decided to eat dinner at Chick- Fil-A and then proceed to the toy section of target. Some, cheap good fun (without the herpes).  
Paul had an amazing time playing in the AWESOMELY CLEAN indoor playground and Ann found it gratifying to chew the heck out of her bib. Then at Target Roger took Paul to the toy section. He loves looking at the toys and telling us what to buy when. Of course being poor we ONLY LOOK and NEVER BUY.  Ok, sometimes we buy. :)  And I must confess we bought a DVD of Fraggle Rock because we were like "WOw, I loved this show when I was little. Should we fraggle rock it tonight with some popcorn?? (imagine Roger doing some dance moves) ummm YES!!!  They Rock my world!"   
While Paul was with Roger in the toy section Anna and I went on the hunt for a new bathing suit for MAMMA!!  I found a nice top but didn't have the heart to buy the bottoms that went with it.  Let me explain, The top and bottom together would have been over $40 and I am not about to spend $40 on a bathing suit.  So, I got the adorable top and thought "umm, I'll just get some black bottoms at Kmart or something.  I don't feel comfortable buying a bathing suit for so much when there are people across the street from me that don't have enough money to fix the window that was broken last week.  So, they put a board up and pray it doesn't rain into their house. 

Saturday
Roger and I had some serious "How in the world are we both suppose to study" moments.  So, we loaded up the kids and our seminary reading material and headed back to Chick-Fil-A.  BRILLIANT.  We were able to sit in peace for about an hour and half sipping coffee and reading. It was so nice.  Roger surprised me with a brownie covered with ice cream.  I tried my best to hide it from paul when we he came running out of the play area but it was inevitable, he ate the rest of it." CHILD you give me back my ICE CREAM"  For some reason I got some strange looks.

Wednesday
Ok, I skipped a few days. But listen today was amazing.  So, I have to write about it. This morning the first thing Paul wanted to do after breakfast was work in the garden. That child has stolen my heart. He loves volleyball, long walks, reading and GARDENING!!  WOW!!  So, we spent the majority of the day digging weeds and  moving rocks. Roger came home for lunch and sat with us outside while we rested.  As soon as he went back to work paul said "come on mom, lets plant."  That child is crazy. We don't have gardening tools YET so we used giant spoons.  We probably looked ridicules out there with out giant spoons but it was rather fun.
Later in the day after his "nap" we got his little 4 wheeler out so he could ride with the little girl next door.  Sadly her barbie car ran out of battery life and paul was forced to ride solo.  As I was getting ready to make Paul give the 4 wheeler a rest I noticed a SEXY man walking down the street.  He had some nice looking slacks on, a stripped button up, a backpack and he looked like he was walking home from work.  I was like "wow, HELLO"  So, I made Paul drive his 4 wheeler down the side walk and great this sexiness. Turns out, I'm married to the man.  Paul greeted Roger on the side walk by driving his 4 wheeler down to meet him.  
Picturesk??  I know, and it gets even better.  As we were walking in the house our next door neighbor brings out his banjo and starts playing on his front porch. WOW!!!  I'm excited about those long summer nights. We'll have to invite some friends over that play instruments and we can have a ho down.  YES!!!  SWEET!!!
As soon as Roger got home we packed up and went to the little beach down by the park. Paul built some "castles" and ran barefoot in the sand FOREVER!  It gave Roger and I time at the end of our day to talk. It was nice.
When we got back home Roger made dinner while I bathed Paul and put some laundry away. After dinner we sat on the front porch enjoying the setting sun.  Then one of our neighbors walked by with her party poodle (no kidding that is the breed of dog).  She introduced herself and even walked us down to her house so we would know where she lives. Then she just kept talking about all of her STUFF.  She owns 4 historic homes, her and her husband drive convertibles, she works all the time...blahh, blahh.  Then she sad she was lonely and didn't know many people here. Then she kept telling me to stop by anytime. She was pretty much begging me to stop by and talk to her. I felt horrible. It was eye opening. I have met and worked with people who have nothing (stuff wise) and are so happy. They find happiness in the little things. This women had what some might see a great life. Beautiful house (houses), kick ass cars, awesome job, but no friends and no real life. 
Roger and I moved down town in order to minister. but I must admit I thought that I would be ministering on the other side of the street.  Not, the historic district with their riches and workaholics.  Funny, God! To top it all off she said she had a horrible day because on her way to work her convertible broke down.  I think she was even a little drunk. I could smell it all over her and she was OVERLY nice and kept saying the same things over and over again. All I could think about was how that is not that bad of a day. There are people in worse shape then that. There are people in this town that don't even have money for a car and are forced to work somewhere within walking distance. Or, even worse, there are people that have cars that barely run and when they break down they have no money to get them toed or fixed. So, pray for this women. Our neighbor.  And I am going to go see her tomorrow. She seems like someone who just needs someone to listen to her.  And I feel God has placed me her to do that. 



see ya.  or not
  



No comments:

Post a Comment